Since the 1st of September 2023, a new Data Protection Law has been active in Switzerland, and while the authorities at the moment are still very generous with website owners who do not fully comply with the new law, the day will come when you have to, and if you don’t there could be hefty fines flying your way.
This is from the Swiss government website: From a private law perspective, it is, therefore, conceivable to prosecute the business itself for a negligent breach of regulations with an amount exceeding 250,000 Swiss francs, which is about 277,000 US dollars. Compared to that, I prefer to pay 100$ or 200$ for a GDPR plugin.
It’s not only the law that business and website owners have to deal with; this is also the perfect opportunity for fraudsters to take advantage of this situation, as many are still overwhelmed with what needs to be enabled on their business websites to be compliant.
That’s why I tested a couple of plugins and compiled a list of the best GDPR Cookie consent WordPress plugins for you. Some of them I am using also for my clients in Switzerland.
This plugin facilitates GDPR compliance by integrating a customizable cookie consent banner into your website. It offers a free tier and automatically blocks third-party cookies until consent is given. It also supports consent management features.
CookieYes also has a WordPress backend settings area, but you’ll probably end up signing up for an account and managing all settings in their web app, which offers all features compared to the limited selection of settings in WordPress.
In your account in the web app, you can manage multiple websites (domains) if needed, and the interface is structured in a simple, self-explaining way. One of my favorite features is the possibility to scan your website so that you don’t have to manually search for all cookies that you are using and classify them into categories such as necessary, analytics, or performance.
For a detailed list of features, check the table below.
On G2, the plugin is praised for its easy installation and cookie notice report features. Also, in the plugins section of WordPress itself, with over 1 Million installations and over 2350 five-star ratings, this plugin must be solid; don’t just take my word for it.
Do you want to know how many steps are involved to set up your cookie banner?
Free vs. Paid
How to know which version is the best for your site or your business? Well, it depends on what type of business you run. In case you are running a web agency, I would recommend you go for the Pro version so you can integrate this plugin seamlessly into your customers’ websites. On the other hand, if you are an SME and don’t get over 25k monthly views, you can stick to the free plan unless styling is super important to you, as you cannot use custom CSS with the free plan.
100 pages / scan
25k page views
100$ / Year/ domainBasic
600 pages / scan
100k page views
200$ / Year/ domainPro
4,000 pages / scan
300k page views
There is one more pricing option called Ultimate for unlimited page views and 8,000 pages / scan at $400 / year / domain.
CookieYes is a straightforward and user-friendly plugin that provides basic GDPR compliance features for free. It suits website owners looking for an easy-to-setup solution to manage cookie consent. The premium version offers additional functionalities useful for websites with higher compliance needs. The positive user sentiment and regular updates indicate it’s a reliable choice for GDPR compliance.
If this hasn’t convinced you yet to try it out, CookieYes also offers a 14-day free trial of the paid plans. So what are you waiting for? Go and check out CookieYes for yourself.
This is Consent Management as it should be; Complianz is designed as a fully native WordPress plugin and operates directly from your server, unlike many other cookie banner solutions, which may rely on cloud solutions. This native integration means it aligns well with the WordPress ecosystem, making it easier to manage within the WordPress backend.
Complianz features a configuration wizard to guide you through the setup process, making it straightforward to start with the plugin.
What Features does Complianz have
- European Union
- United States of America
- United Kingdom
- South Africa
- Other regions
- Custom CSS
- WCAG AA & ADA compliance
- Soft Cookie Wall
- No jQuery
- Highly Customizable
- Easily Translated
- DNSMPI – Opt-out Preferences
- Privacy Statements
- Privacy Statements for Children
- Processing Agreements
- Dataleak Inventory
- Terms & Conditions
- Region redirect
- Complianz holds a high rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars from over 1,000 reviews on its official website. Users have praised it as a great compliance tool and appreciate its easy setup and integration, as well as its modern pop-up design on the front end.
- On WordPress.org, the plugin also holds a high rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars from 1,166 reviews, indicating a strong positive sentiment from its user base.
€49 / yearPersonal
For 1 site
€149 / yearProfessional
For 5 sites
€299 / yearAgency
For 25 sites
All these tiers include a range of features like legal document generation, region-specific consent management, A/B testing, and more, with 1-year support and updates. The Agency tier additionally includes a multisite plugin for managing consent across multiple sites within a network.
Complianz stands out for its comprehensive compliance features and strong integration with the WordPress ecosystem. The guided setup process and high user ratings make it a user-friendly choice for website owners. The robust free version is a plus, and the premium version is worthwhile for those needing advanced compliance solutions across multiple regions. Continuous development ensures it stays updated with the latest regulations.
GDPR Cookie Compliance (Moove)
The GDPR Cookie Compliance plugin by the London-based WP agency provides loads of visual customization options even in its free version, enabling you to align the cookie consent notification with your site’s aesthetics. However, to correctly list the types of cookies your site uses, some technical knowledge is required, as the plugin doesn’t offer an automated cookie-scanning feature.
Here are some additional features of the GDPR Cookie Compliance (Moove) plugin that could incentivize users to opt for the premium version:
- Premium Support: Access to fast premium support from their team to help resolve any issues or queries you might have.
- Analytics: The plugin provides anonymous stats and charts showing how many users accepted your cookies, which could be valuable for analyzing user behavior and compliance.
- Consent Log: Stores user consent information locally on your website, which could be crucial for proving consent was given, should you need to.
- Geo-location Feature: If enabled, the Cookie Consent Banner will only be shown to visitors from specified countries, aiding in compliance with regional laws.
- iFrame Blocker: Blocks users from viewing 3rd party resources (such as YouTube) until they accept cookies, providing better control over third-party script loading.
- Cookie Wall / Full-screen Layout: A more assertive consent method that requires users to either accept or reject cookies before accessing your content.
- Export & Import Settings: This feature allows easy transfer of your custom settings between sites, which can be a time-saver for webmasters managing multiple sites.
These premium features enhance the plugin’s functionality, providing more control, customization, and compliance tools, which could be particularly beneficial for website owners with specific compliance needs or those managing multiple websites.
What I’d like to point out here is if you are not planning on upgrading to a paid plan, you will have fewer features available compared to CookieYes or Complianz; keep that in mind.
£59 / yearSingle
For 1 site
Unlimited page views
£159 / yearDeveloper
For 5 sites
Unlimited page views
£299 / yearAgency
For 25 sites
Unlimited page views
There is one more pricing option called Ultimate for unlimited websites at £499 / year.
Moove’s GDPR Cookie Compliance plugin is a robust and reliable solution for WordPress site owners looking to ensure GDPR compliance. Its simplicity, customization options, and effective compliance features make it a popular choice among users. The premium version offers advanced features that could benefit sites with more complex compliance requirements.
Cookie Notice & Compliance for GDPR / CCPA
Cookie Notice & Compliance for GDPR / CCPA plugin provides a straightforward and effective solution for website owners to comply with GDPR, CCPA, and other international data protection and consent laws. By offering a customizable website banner for cookie consent and extending it into a web application for more advanced compliance features, it presents a scalable solution for different compliance needs.
What makes this plugin great is the amount of automated help it provides, i.e., by scanning your website and detailing which parts need improvement.
By signing up, you can select the type of plan that you prefer.
What I have noticed, there must have been a price increase recently, as, since 2023, users have been complaining about the cost of the plugin. While there is always someone complaining about something, let’s check if the features justify the price tag of 15$ per month per domain.
Features and Specialties
- Simple Customizable Banner:
- Customizable notice message.
- Consent on click, scroll, or close.
- Multiple cookie expiry options.
- SEO friendly.
- WPML and Polylang compatible.
- Advanced Cookie Compliance (Plugin + Web Application):
- Intentional Consent framework with three equal buttons for visitors to accept none, some, or all cookies.
- Consent duration selector.
- Cookie purpose categories for easy customization of consent.
- Consent metrics to display visitor’s consent records.
- Customizable Privacy Paper to improve visitor comprehension of data sharing risks.
- Configurable Privacy Contact for providing contact information of a business’s data privacy admin.
- Web Application Features:
- Consent analytics dashboard.
- Default configurations for GDPR, CCPA, and more.
- Automatic script blocking for non-essential cookie scripts and iFrames.
- Consent record storage.
- Multilingual support.
- Multidomain management.
- Proactive Compliance Approach:
- Covers all current and upcoming regulations like GDPR (EU), ePrivacy Directive (EU), PECR (UK), LGPD (Brazil), PIPEDA (Canada), PDPB (India), CCPA (California, US), and VCDPA (Virginia, US).
The plugin has received many positive reviews, with 2,810 5-star ratings out of 2,961 reviews, indicating a positive sentiment among its users. As mentioned in 2023, there started to emerge some critical voices concerning the new price structure.
Cookie Compliance™ offers two main plans catering to different user needs and compliance requirements.
- Basic Plan (FREE):
- Compliance with GDPR, CCPA, LGPD, PECR.
- Consent Analytics Dashboard, 1,000 visits/month, 30 days consent storage, and basic support, among other features.
- Professional Plan ($14.95/monthly per domain, save 12% on yearly payment):
- One domain license, unlimited visits, lifetime consent storage, priority support, and more.
The Professional plan, recommended for a more comprehensive compliance solution, is priced per month per domain, offering extensive features and support for maintaining compliance across different data protection laws.
The Cookie Notice & Compliance for GDPR / CCPA plugin stands out for its simple yet effective consent management features, available for free. Its extension into a web application allows for a more advanced compliance approach, making it a unique choice among the plugins discussed. Its proactive compliance approach covering various international regulations makes it a versatile choice for global website operators.
Remember, if you are looking for a free version and are working on a scaling business, this might not be the right option for you, with only 1,000 visits per month.
What to Know About GDPR Cookie Consent WordPress Plugins
Navigating GDPR and cookie consent on WordPress is streamlined with the right plugins. However, for accurate information, consulting official government websites or a specialized lawyer is advisable, especially if the technicalities feel overwhelming.
Navigating GDPR and other data protection laws can be less daunting with the right WordPress plugins. If you found this article helpful and need more personalized guidance, feel free to explore our services. Moreover, understanding the interplay between SEO and GDPR compliance could further optimize your website’s performance. Check out our articles on SEO best practices to delve deeper into this topic.
Graz is a tech enthusiast with over 15 years of experience in the software industry, specializing in AI and software. With roles ranging from Coder to Product Manager, Graz has honed his skills in making complex concepts easy to understand. Graz shares his insights on AI trends and software reviews through his blog and social media.